Thermal Design & CFD
We have 10+ years of experience in the following areas of Thermal Design and CFD in Electronics :
Thermal Design :
- Product Design (Mechanical, Embedded, and Electronics design)
- TOTAL Thermal Management of Electronics
- Design / analysis & supply of Heat sinks, DC Fans, heat pipes, TECs
- Thermal (CFD) analysis of electronics
- Test & measurement (sensors, anemometers, wind tunnels)
- Fabrication of prototypes, conventional & CNC machining
Electronics Cooling (CFD) :
Different types of Modules and Chassis :
- Forced Air Cooled
- Conduction cooled
- Liquid Cooled (exploratory studies)
- Inverter (power backup)
Thermal Simulation :
- Estimate junction/case Temperature and comment on thermal safety of the devices
- Determination of fan operating point
- Visualization of flow field – dead zones, heat sink bypass, etc
- Heat sink – selection / custom design
- Selection of fans
- Selection and design air filters / vents etc
Mechanical Design of Card modules and Chassis
- ANSI/VITA standards – for military applications
- NEBS, NEMA and Euro standards – for telecom applications
Electronics Cooling :
- Intelligent fan tray
- CPU fan coolers
- DC brushless Fans & blowers
- Heat sinks (Al, Cu, extrusions, pin fins, heat pipes, vapor chamber or custom)
- Heat pipes
- Liquid cooling
- TECs & TEGs
- Test & measurement
- PCB fab, MC PCBs, Flex PCBs
Fabrication Support :
- Thermal management products
Heat sinks (Al, Cu, extrusions, pin fins, heat pipes, vapor chamber or any other custom requirement), heat sink mounting hardware.
- Design and manufacturing of sheet metal and machined enclosures and other customized parts.
- Multi-layer PCB fab: Upto 16 layers and Flex PCBs.
- Metal Core PCBs for high density power conversion, motor control, flat panel displays, lighting, automotive and solar applications.
- Plastic injection molding & die casting.
- CNC Turing, Pressing and Radial Drilling
Major Industries Verticals Supported :
- Government (Defence, Derospace, Nuclear)
- Telecom, computer, medical electronics, white goods
Methodology/Process Followed :
- Inputs from customer / datasheets : Such as ambient conditions, power dissipation, board details (number of layers, thermal vias etc), device part numbers/ datasheets, material specification etc.
- Processing IDF files – Board layout and devices are modeled by importing and cleaning the IDF files.
- Modeling chassis / enclosures / covers
- If 3D CAD is available, the data is converted into formats/shapes that are usable in the analysis tool.
- Else, the model is constructed based on the specifications.
- Compact thermal models – DELPHI, 2R models that are available from the device vendor are incorporated in the board
- Improves the accuracy of junction temperature prediction.
- Information from datasheets can be also used to construct these network models.
- Meshing – number of cells and the sizing is decided based on the thermal / flow requirements.
- Mesh in-dependency checks are carried out to arrive optimum mesh density.
- Application of boundary conditions and numerical simulation of the model.
- Physics based selection of boundary conditions and numerical models
- Simulation results are verified by appropriate hand calculations.
- Result review, documentation and recommendation of design improvements
- Results are thoroughly analyzed to understand thermal bottlenecks, flow distribution etc.
- Contour / vector plots, quantitative data (temperature, flow rate etc) are documented
- Design improvements are suggested based on these observations
- Based on customer comments, the design changes implemented and optimization is carried out till the specifications are met.
Partial List of our customers : Thermal Design & Electronics CFD :
- Automotive : Robert Bosch, Delphi, Visteon
- Electronics : Juniper Networks, EATON, CISCO, O/E/N, Amararaja Power, Aricent Group, Tejas Networks, Rancore Technologies
- Engineering : Infosys, HP, HCL, WIPRO, TCS, Lukup, Mindteck, Mistral, ProcSys, CoreEL, Aricent, CSG, Data Patterns, Honeywell, Reliance Info
- Govt : BEL, MTRDC, CDOT, DARE, ISAC, LEOS, LRDE, SAMEER, IGCAR
Tool Experience :
- FEA – Ansys, Midas NFX
- CFD – FloTHERM, Icepak, Fluent, Answer