Simulia (ABAQUS) for Academia
SIMULIA (ABAQUS) for Academia
Achieve your Goals
The Academic Team at SIMULIA is dedicated to helping you achieve your research and educational goals by providing you with our entire collection of Realistic Simulation tools and community-based resources.
Academic Software Portfolio
From undergraduate coursework to PhD thesis, the SIMULIA Academic Portfolio has what you need for Realistic Simulation, Optimization, Durability studies, and Multibody Simulation. We’ve taken our entire collection of commercial products and packaged them into simple, affordable offerings for academic customers.
- SIMULIA Academic Research Suite – Commercial-level functionality for advanced research; priced for academic budgets.
- SIMULIA Academic Teaching Suite – Feature-rich educational licenses for classrooms and computer labs. Model sizes limited.
- SIMULIA Simpack Teaching and Research License – Commercial-level Multibody Simulation for research and education.
The academic portfolio is designed to provide access to our full software portfolio including Abaqus, Isight, Tosca, fe-safe and Simpack with three simple-to-order products priced for academic budgets. Our licensing model enables you to purchase exactly what you need now, with the flexibility to explore the additional products on your own schedule.
Contact Us for a quote.
Abaqus/CAE, the Complete Abaqus Environment, provides for parametric, feature-based modeling, analysis monitoring, and results evaluation. Inclusion of Abaqus/Standard, Abaqus/Explicit and Abaqus/CFD allows the choice of appropriate analysis techniques or even a combination of analysis techniques for different types of simulations. Powerful user-defined subroutines allow flexibility in modeling advanced research materials, complex element, surface and contact behaviors, and other user-specific features.
- Abaqus/Standard, Abaqus/Explicit, and Abaqus/CFD
- Abaqus/CAE pre/post processor
- Linear and non-linear analysis
- Parallel processing capabilities
- User subroutines (not available with Teaching Suite)
- Associative Interfaces for both CATIA and Solidworks
- Complete Abaqus Documentation in HTML and PDF format
Isight is an open-desktop solution used to combine multiple cross-disciplinary models and applications together in a simulation process flow, automate their execution, explore the resulting design space, and identify the optimal design parameters subject to required constraints.
- Drag-and-drop process flow creation, parameter mapping, and problem formulation
- Branching, looping, conditional, and other execution logic
- Same as the commercial edition, but restricted to academic use
- Process Integration: Abaqus, CATIA V5, MS Word and Excel, MATLAB, OS Command, Calculator, and much more – including many commercially available software codes and open-source software with ASCII based input/output
- Design Optimization: DOE, Optimization & Target Solver, Data Matching, Approximations, Monte Carlo, Six Sigma, Taguchi
- Complete Isight Documentation Collection in HTML and PDF format
- Tosca Structure is a flexible, modular software system for non-parametric structural optimization with industry standard finite element solvers (Abaqus, ANSYS, MSC Nastran). The setup is simple – model parameterization is not necessary. Existing solver input files are used for the optimization. Tosca Structure is based on market-leading technology and provides advanced capabilities for optimization with nonlinear analysis and fatigue as well as a specific non-parametric morphing approach.
- Topology Optimization
- Sizing Optimization
- Shape Optimization
- Bead Optimization
- Support for nonlinear analysis
- Advanced shape optimization based on durability analysis
- Shape Morphing based on node sets
- Tosca Fluid is a unique, modular software system for non-parametric fluid flow optimization that enables topology optimization with some industry-standard CFD solvers. Abaqus/CFD is not currently supported.
fe-safe is the technical leader in fatigue analysis software for Finite Element models. It offers its users the most accurate and advanced fatigue analysis technology for real-world industrial applications. fe-safe is used by leading companies in automotive, heavy truck, off-highway, marine, defense, offshore, power generation, wind energy, medical engineering and many other industries. fe-safe is renowned for its accuracy, speed, comprehensive capabilities and ease of use. Regardless of the complexity of our fatigue analysis, fe-safe fits smoothly into your design process, enabling you to develop products that are designed for durability.
- Automatic detection of fatigue hot-spots
- Strain-based multiaxial fatigue algorithms
- S-N curve analysis
- Plots of material data including temperature effects
- Analysis of welded joints
- High temperature fatuge
- Automatic detection of surfaces
- Much more…
Simpack is a general purpose multibody simulation (MBS) software used for the dynamic analysis of any mechanical or mechatronic system. It enables engineers to generate and solve virtual 3D models in order to predict and visualize motion, coupling forces and stresses.
From initial concept designs, through to production and redesigns, Simpack is used to help engineers fully comprehend and optimize systems, vastly reduce the need for physical prototyping, reduce time-to-market and to improve product quality and lifespan. In essence Simpack enables manufacturers to gain a competitive edge by offering the ability create high quality products in a time and materially efficient manner thus reducing overall costs in design, production and maintenance.
Simpack is the market leader for simulating transient non-linear system behavior with flexible bodies, even up into the acoustic range. Diversity and good connectivity to various control, hydraulic and FE software enable Simpack to be easily integrated into any manufacturer’s already-established development processes.
Contact Us for a quote.
Teaching vs Research Comparison
The SIMULIA Research Suite has the same functionality as our commercial code, and is a powerful tool for conducting state of the art research. Students in Masters and Doctoral level programs are able to analyze and solve realistic engineering problems. Powerful, user-defined subroutines allow flexibility in modeling advanced research materials, and unlimited model sizes and parallel processing capabilities make all simulation jobs possible.
The SIMULIA Teaching Suite also includes the same functionality as our commercial codes, but limits the model sizes of the Abaqus structural simulations to a very workable 250,000 nodes (1,000,000 nodes for CFD simulations). The Teaching Suite contains a license size appropriate for supporting a classroom of users, and is priced with teaching and educational budgets in mind. Use of the SIMULIA Teaching Suite is limited to teaching and project-based work. It is not allowed for fundamental research associated with graduate level thesis projects.
The Simpack Teaching and Research License contains commercial-level functionality and may be used for either Academic research or teaching activities.
The SIMULIA Academic Portfolio of products use a floating network licensing system, in which a pool of licenses are shared among a group of authorized users. Each time an application is executed, one or more licenses are “checked out” from the pool, reducing the number of licenses available for others. When the application is closed, the licenses are “checked in” and made available for other users.
All applications in the SIMULIA Research and Teaching Suites (including Abaqus, Isight, Tosca, and fe-safe) are licensed with either Interactive Seats or Execute tokens. Interactive seats are used for user graphical interfaces (GUIs) such as Abaqus/CAE, Isight Design & Runtime Gateways, and the fe-safe GUI. Exactly one Interactive Seat is checked out each time a product GUI is executed. Execute tokens are used for computational analysis and workflow execution. The number of Execute tokens checked out depend upon the products and workflows being executed, as well as the number of processors being used (parallel processing) to reduce runtimes.
One computer on your network, referred to as the license server, is designated to keep track of the number and types of licenses used. Requests to run software are granted or denied depending upon current availability. The license server may or may not be the same computer you use to actually run the software. Large user groups should use a license server that’s consistently on the network and accessible at all time by all users. Conversely, a customer with a single-user license may choose to use their lap-top as both the license server and to execute the software.
Contact Us for help determining a suitable configuration.
Abaqus Student Edition
The Abaqus Student Edition is a zero-cost personal finite element analysis tool for solving limited size problems (1000 nodes for Abaqus/Standard and Abaqus/Explicit, and 10,000 nodes for Abaqus/CFD) not requiring user subroutines. It is governed by a personal use license and may be used on a perpetual basis. The Abaqus Student Edition includes the full set of online Abaqus documentation and is supported on Windows 7 & Windows 8 (64-bit only). The Abaqus Student Edition is available free of charge at the SIMULIA Learning Community.
SIMULIA Learning Community
The SIMULIA Learning Community is free of charge and contains the following useful resources (and more):
- product tutorials (both video and text)
- the complete Abaqus Documentation Collection in HTML format
- access to the Abaqus Student Edition free of charge
- technical blog posts by SIMULIA employees and other contributing members,
- research papers
- iQuestions and answers
- competitions and prizes
- selected training course notes for download
The SIMULIA Learning Community was created with academic users in mind, and more information is added daily.
3DS Academy contains resources for Students and Educators covering the entire Dassault Systemes Academic Software portfolio.
Onsite/Online Training Courses
Regularly scheduled training courses are available both online and on premise. All online training is heavily discounted for academic customers, and many geographies offer significant discounting for on-premise training when space is available. The complete course schedule and all registration information can be found here.
SIMULIA products are made available to qualifying Academic Institutions at a significant discount compared to commercial pricing. Support for academic customers is limited to installation and licensing related topics only, and is available through our support portal at www.3ds.com/support. Access to the support portal requires login/password and is typically limited to two individuals per academic site. Technical Support (engineering, simulation, and modeling) is not included with the price of an Academic License but is available for purchase. Please contact us if you’d like pricing information for an academic technical support account. Many of the most common questions can be answered online at the SIMULIA Learning Community or the SIMULIA Platforms & Configuration Support Page.
Eligibility for Academic Licensing of SIMULIA Products
SIMULIA offers academic licenses to accredited, degree granting institutions for use in teaching and fundamental research. Academic licenses are offered at substantially reduced rates compared to the commercial versions of the software. Eligibility for academic licensing requires that the software:
- is licensed to degree-granting, educational institutions only, and
- is used only by enrolled students and/or faculty dedicated to education and research, and
- is used for educational and/or grant research purposes only, and
- is used for non-commercial work, where results are non-proprietary and are publicly available, and
- cannot be used for work-for-hire under commercial and/or government contract terms.
Academic Licenses are governed by the Dassault Systemes Customer License Agreement which will be provided to you with an official quotation or upon request. Several commercial licensing options are available for fundamental or applied research that does not meet all of the above criteria.
For More Information on Simulia for Academia : Simulia for Academia